Fructooligosaccharides are a type of soluble fiber that promote the growth of bacteria in the large intestine such as lactobacilli or bifidobacteria, and inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Shigella or Salmonella. These effects cause immune function and the synthesis of certain vitamins to be stimulated.
The health effects attributed to fructooligosaccharides are associated with their ability to modify the composition of the colon microflora, which is why they are also called prebiotics.
These are some of its most notable physiological functions:
- They promote the growth of bifid bacteria (beneficial flora) and inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Shigella or Salmonella.
- They stimulate immune function and the synthesis of certain vitamins.
- They help reduce digestive disorders such as excess gas, by balancing the intestinal flora and limiting the growth of bacteria that generate them.
- They improve intestinal transit, which is beneficial in case of constipation.
- The consumption of fructooligosaccharides is associated with better use by our body of various minerals such as calcium and magnesium, fundamental components for bones and teeth.
In consideration of these physiological benefits, Kit Cat is committed to creating products enriched in fructooligosaccharides that support the diet of felines.